NOT ON THE TOP 100 TOOLS LIST IN 2022
Microsoft’s Enterprise Social Networking platform
Cost: Free to set up; commercial to obtain admin rights
Availability: Online. Download app
Rankings in the previous surveys:
|2021: 75||2020: 73||2019: 36||2018: 39||2017: 14||2016: 12||2015: 28||2014: 24|
|2013: 20||2012: 20||2011: 31||2010: 68||2009: 71||2008: –||2007: –|
Comments on Yammer
“Now that I am not on social media, all of my sharing happens within the enterprise social network Yammer so my colleagues are copping the brunt of my findings, reflections, observations, experiments, working out loud, lessons. In some way, this can be positive (it’s helped me connect more broadly with my colleagues overseas and identify areas for collaboration and co-creation) but negative in that all my thinking is ‘closed off’ from the outside world – and I have no personal record of it on my own platform.” Helen Blunden, Continual and Lifelong Learner, Australia, 2022
“Enables collaboration internally and with external project partners and collaborators.” Magnus Rode, Manager In-House Applications, Germany, 2021
“This is were the company where I work hosts our communities of practice! Great sharing and discovery space” Alexildo Vaz, Knowledge Management Analyst, Brazil, 2020
“This year I’ve gone back to using Yammer to host the online workshops I run – since it as it is all about the social experience; people interacting and learning from one another. I do prefer the conversation threading there than on Slack. And by using Yammer, participants can see how valuable a platform it is to underpin both informal and formal social learning and collaboration in the workplace, and that they really don’t need a separate social learning platform. Using an enterprise social network or collaboration platform means that learning and work are fully integrated.” Jane Hart, UK, 2020
“Social learning within my own work team and wider teams. Effective for efficient sharing of what and how.” Head of Learning, Australia, 2019
“Shared learning platform.” Organisational Development Manager, UK, 2019
Quick Guide to Yammer
Here you will find some basic guidance and links to resources on how to use Yammer for teaching, training, learning and development.
Yammer is a place to interact, converse with and learn from what others are sharing – whether it be in an organisational network in an external network.
In the enterprise: Yammer is used to establish a company Enterprise Social Network (ESN) where employees can interact with one another. With the growing popularity of Microsoft Teams however, Yammer’s positioning is somewhat confused.
Yammer is a valuable social learning platform and is perfect for hosting formal social learning events as well are underpinning informal social learning.
- A Yammer group can be set up to host a social learning experience, where the focus is on people discussing and collaborating with one another – rather on the delivery of broadcast content.
- Note what doesn’t work well is hosting discussion for a course in Yammer group separate from the content, otherwise people don’t want to move from one to the other, they need to be well integrated. Here’s James Tyer’s thoughts on this problem.
- ere are Yammer as a Learning Tool – Top 10 Tips Jane Leonard says “Yammer gives us trainers a tool to enhance the formal learning transfer. It allows us to blend real social learning into the more traditional training event”
Yammer can also be used to host learning communities
- Here’s a video on how to build learning communities online with Yammer
- How To Use Yammer More Effectively In Your Organization, C# Corner, 30 July 2019
- How to use Yammer effectively – Beginners Guide, The Windows Guide, 21 August 2019
- Ten Yammer mistakes to avoid, All Things IC, 4 December 2018
- A Beginner’s Guide to Yammer (PDF), BMG
Last updated: August 27, 2022 at 16:09 pm