NOT ON THE TOP 100 TOOLS LIST 2022
Mahara is an open source e-portfolio platform with a flexible display framework.
Cost: Free. Open source
Ranking in the previous surveys:
|2021: 222||2020: –||2019: 189||2018: 148||2017: –||2016: 100||2015: –||2014: 61|
|2013: –||2012: 91||2011: 67||2010: –||2009: –||2008: –||2007: –|
Comments on Mahara
“Mahara is a great ePortfolio tool, and ePortfolios are the best tools for self-development and self-directed learning. For students, for teachers, for all lifelong learners.” Andrea Ghoneim, eDeveloper & support for digital teaching, Austria, 2021
“Open source eportfolio tool with lots of great functionality, helps develop digital capabilities. Great international community.” Teresa MacKinnon, University/College teacher, UK, 2017
Quick Guide to Mahara for Learning
Here you will find some basic guidance and links to resources on how to use Mahara for teaching, training, learning and development.
Mahara is a learner-centric ePortfolio system, that is a form of Personal Learning Environment, in contrast to the institution-centric Learning Management System (LMS). Although Mahara is a stand-alone system it can be integrated into a wider virtual learning framework. Since Mahara’s architecture was inspired by the modular, extensible architecture of Moodle, these two systems can be networked together as well having single sign-on from Moodle 1.9 upwards. Mahara is therefore seen as a ‘sister’ application to Moodle. Mahara is predominately found in education it has value in other contexts too, as shown below
- Students can track their learning progress and achievements in a personal portfolios and share them with others.
- Teachers can give feedback on portfolios and support their students in reaching their learning goals.
- Professionals can create portfolios for certification and promotion to showcase your professional development over time.
- Employers can learn about their employees skills and competencies by viewing direct evidence of their achievements.
- Managers can check in with their team members in their professional development and support them throughout.
- Assessors can review learning evidence online and provide feedback online wherever you are.
This video explains what Mahara is.
This video shows you how to create an e-portfolio
Last updated: August 26, 2022 at 18:04 pm